|Joint Statement for DPRK Embassy in Jakarta|
Joint Statement for DPRK Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia on the Occasion of North Korean Human Rights Week
1. We have gathered in Jakarta, Indonesia, a city of democracy, human rights, and respect for life, to consider the United Nations Charter and Universal Declaration of Human Rights in showing our love and respect for the people of North Korea.
2. In response to the final report of the Commission of Inquiry on human rights in North Korea made at the 25th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council, and in order to strengthen international cooperation and raise awareness of this serious matter, Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights, the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI) and KonstraS jointly held a North Korean Human Rights Week in Jakarta, Indonesia, from April 28 to May 2, 2014.
3. Throughout the weeklong event, “Speak up! Silenced Voices in North Korea,” the three institutions agreed to give a voice to victims and shine a light on North Korean human rights issues. We held a variety of events, including an art exhibit, university seminars, film screenings, an essay contest, and a flash mob in order to raise awareness of this urgent matter to a wide range of people.
4. Many people who participated in and attended these various events realized the seriousness of the ongoing human rights violations in North Korea, and contemplated on how they can help to end these abuses. If we combine all the known information, testimonies and evidence related to the victims of abuse in North Korea, it is obvious to the international community that the North Korean regime is committing crimes against humanity.
5. If North Korea does not act to improve its human rights situation, the international community will increase its pressure on North Korea and continue to condemn its countless human rights violations.
These are the actions that we strongly insist North Korea take immediately:
April 28th, 2014
Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights (NKHR)
Attach file#1 : dprk statement.jpg